Crowning Achievements

Anabel Macchi Wins Miss Senior High 2023 Pageant

Cate Dudley, Editor-in-Chief

On Nov. 5, senior Anabel Macchi competed in the First Coast Women’s Club’s Miss Senior High Pageant. 

This annual event is a fundraiser for the club and features the winners of Jacksonville high school pageant winners. 

Macchi was crowned the winner of the Miss Bishop Kenny pageant last spring, also winning the Best Interview and Scholastic awards for the highest total and interview scores, as well as the highest GPA of the contestants.

At Miss Senior High, participants are scored on several criteria, including a private interview completed before the pageant worth 30 points. Additionally, during the pageant portion, there are talent, formal wear, and onstage speech sections each worth 15 points. Timeliness and overall impression during the preparation for the pageant is worth 25 points.

The pageant began with the introduction of the women behind the pageant, the emcee and the judges. The contestants then performed an opening number and introduced themselves in order of school names.

Following this, the performance company from the Scott Jones School of dance did a number to “Pump It” by the Black-Eyed Peas.

During the talent portion, Macchi sang “The Girl from Ipanema.” There was a brief intermission giving the girls time to change. For formal wear, she was escorted by her father, Eduardo Macchi. Her onstage speech, responding to a question on the impact of volunteerism in her life, highlighted her work with children through music. 

There was another performance by the Scott Jones dancers while the scores were being tallied.

Just like at the Miss BK pageant, Anabel took home Best Interview and the crown. She is the third Miss BK to win Miss Senior High in the 40 years the pageant has been held.