Breaking News
Student Media - Bishop Kenny High School

The Shield

The Shield

The Shield

Support Us
$225
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Bishop Kenny High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Starbucks’ Splash of Summer

Viral Starbucks boba refreshers review
Sophia Gredenhag
(Left to right) Summer Skies, Summer-Berry, Summer-Berry Lemonade

On Tuesday, May 7th, Starbucks released three new refreshers for the summer season. Some may be thinking that it’s just another flavor drop, but this time, it’s different; it’s boba.

I tried all three of the new boba drinks incluing: Summer-Berry Lemondae Refresher, Summer-Berry Refresher and Summer Skies Drink Refresher.

At the top of my rankings is the Summer-Berry Lemonade Refresher for first place. A grande size costed $6.45, which is on the expensive side. Despite the price, the blueberry and blackberry flavors paired nicely with the lemonade and raspberry popping boba. The ice in the refresher made it cold, refreshing and perfect for a summer day. If you are looking for a sugary and fun drink, the Summer-Berry Lemonade would be best. I would rate the lemonade version a nine out of ten.

Below that, the regular Summer Skies Drink Refresher takes second place. The grande size also costed $6.45. If you are a coconut milk fan, this is the drink for you! While I don’t love or hate coconut milk, this drink wasn’t too bad. The milk made the drink look aesthetically pleasing which positively impacted my experience. It did not taste super sugary, but a little sweet. I would rank the Summer Skies a six and a half out of ten.

In third place is the Summer-Berry Refresher. A grande size costed $5.95, being the cheapest out of all three. When I first took a sip, it felt like I was drinking slightly flavored water. The raspberry boba is the best feature in this specific drink. In my opinion, removing the boba from the order would make it not worth its money, as the drink itself isn’t very falvorful. Ordering this on a hot summer day as a hydrating beverage is best. A six out of ten is my rating for the Summer-Berry refresher.

Overall I would give the Starbucks debut of boba a seven out of ten. The concept is cool and it is definitely different than a regular new drink drop. I would recommend trying it out for yourself to see!