Breaking News
Student Media - Bishop Kenny High School

The Shield

The Shield

The Shield

Support Us
$225
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Bishop Kenny High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

The Comeback of Frozen Yogurt

Reasons for why frozen yogurt is trending again
Image from Creative Commons
Frozen yogurt allows customers to choose from a variety of toppings

In the evolving world of culinary trends, food combinations and creations are expected to come and go. However, one food specialty in particular has embraced its popularity in a cyclical fashion by having off-the-chart sales one day and becoming a ghost town the next. This trend-fluctuating treat is known best as frozen yogurt.

Frozen yogurt was introduced by entrepreneur H.P. Hood in the 70s and boomed in the 80s and 90s. The trend died down for some time, but then its popularity picked back up in the 2010s when frozen yogurt franchise Pinkberry was established.

Today, frozen yogurt may be experiencing yet another wave of popularity and there are two main reasons that back this idea up.

First, frozen yogurt is known for its perceived health benefits compared to other desserts. This is important because as the world grows more concerned with their health in this coming age, frozen yogurt provides an opportunity for one to enjoy a sweet treat without risk.

Rebecca Cherico, in her article “Why Frozen Yogurt Might Be Making A Comeback” shares with her readers the point of interest in this frozen treat.

“The advantage of froyo (as it came to be known) was that it tasted much like soft-serve ice cream, but was intended to be better for you,” Cherico said.

The most significant health benefit concerns gut health, where frozen yogurt helps reproduce the good kind of gut bacteria for an individual.

Second, frozen yogurt is customizable and easily available to consumers.

In recent years, most gas stations, such as Gate and RaceTrac, have implemented frozen yogurt sections into their facilities. This allows customers to take a quick trip to their local gas station for their favorite treat instead of having to travel to a frozen yogurt franchise.

Along with this, customers will never grow tired of a customizable dessert. Self-serve styles are extremely popular in the United States because the customer is in control of nearly everything, from the amount of frozen yogurt in their bowl to the mix of toppings they can choose from.

The self-serve and healthy styles of frozen yogurt may point to the direction of another wave of frenzy for this frozen treat. The question is: Will you be hopping on the trend?