Breaking News
Student Media - Bishop Kenny High School

The Shield

The Shield

The Shield

Support Us
$225
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Bishop Kenny High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

All of The Lights

St. Augustine’s Night of Lights brings us into the holiday season
Opening+night+of+St.+Augustine+Night+of+Lights.+
India Brophy
Opening night of St. Augustine Night of Lights.

On November 18, St. Augustine kicked off their annual Christmas season light show. The lights will be on display until January 28. The lights are free to go see and there are many places to be dropped off around St. Augustine, so you can take a stroll whilst enjoying the dozens of lit up rooftops. 

The lights combined with the historical look of St. Augustine makes for a display that will brighten your Christmas spirit. According to National Geographic, “the St. Augustine Night of Lights is one of the top 10 holiday light displays in the world”, and it’s only a 40 minute drive from Jacksonville. 

You can view the lights by walking, from the water, riding the shuttle around town, horse-drawn carriages or through tours. Due to the Night of Lights being world renowned, the town can get very busy, especially on the weekends so if you’re looking to avoid the crowds mid-week is the best time to visit.

The Night of Lights started in 1993, making this the 30 year anniversary. St. Augustine Night of Lights can be traced back all the way to the traditional Spanish practice of displaying a white candle in the window during the Christmas holiday season. The tradition has now developed into a very well known light show that uses millions of Christmas lights strung across rooftops of buildings in the town.

The St. Augustine Night of Lights is the ultimate Christmas bucket list event to tick off with your family or friends, and when it’s so close why not go see it.

Business’ along the streets of St. Augustine lit up during Night of Lights (India Brophy)