Humans of BK: Davis Johnson

Junior Davis Johnson discusses accomplishments this cross-country season

Emily Wheldon, Web Manager

Taking four AP classes is hard enough, but adding a sport on top of them is even more demanding. But this is junior Davis Johnson’s school life.

Davis is involved with the Bishop Kenny cross-country team and has climbed her way to the top this season.

“My sophomore PR was a 20:40 and by the end of junior year I had a 19:04,” Johnson said.

At the start of the cross-country season, Johnson was the fifth place girl on the team and by the last race, she had become the fastest runner on the team.

In order to achieve her goals she “worked really hard, [I] went to basically all the practices [I] could, [I] put in lots of hard effort for months, including over the summer starting at the beginning of Jun. and [I] just kept pushing for it.”

To stay motivated during the six months of training, Johnson made the goals to be on Bishop Kenny’s top fifty leaderboard and to race under twenty minutes. By the end of her season, she ran fifty-six seconds faster than her set time and ended as the eleventh fastest runner in BK history.

This year, the cross-country team traveled to the states race and Johnson placed sixteenth in her division and fifty-first overall.

She has enjoyed her time on the cross-country team as “it was so great, being on the cross-country team is so memorable and it’s an experience [I’ll] never forget.”

Johnson looks forward to competing for Kenny during track season and for her senior year on the team.