Best Ways to Study for Midterms

5 of the best ways to study for your midterms

Parker Harms, Business Manager

Sometimes studying with other may be the best way to study for your midterms. (Photo Curtesy of Creative Commons)

Stuck on how to study for your midterms? You’re not alone! Midterms may be stressful, but there are many ways to relieve that stress. Here’s a list of ways to study that will help you prepare for testing day!

1. Ask Questions

Stop by your teacher and ask questions about how to prepare for their midterm. Make sure you are asking the right questions so you are getting all the information you need. Ask things like: Will there be a study guide provided  or in class review sessions? What is the format of the exam? Is it the whole semester or just parts of certain lessons? And ask your teacher that may be the best study tools for their class.

2. Make a study schedule

Sometimes you may feel like all you’re doing is studying for your exams. But you can possibly spend less time studying if you make a plan. Plan out what classes you struggle with. Once you find out what will be on the exams, plan out what will be the most challenging and know what you will need to focus on more. Make sure to study little by little as you also don’t want to burn out mentally.

3. Start with your notes and tests

Gather any worksheets, handouts, notes, and anything covering the subject. If the midterm is covering the whole semester, then maybe ask your teacher to see your past tests. Those can help you spot your mistakes and know what you struggled on. And if your notes are messy or hard to understand, try finding another note taking strategy that will help you in the long run.

4. Form a study group

Sometimes it may be easier to study with another person or group of people. If there are some parts of the subject you do not understand, try to find someone who does and ask for help! A study group may also help in studying more effectively, like breaking up a review or having someone teach a topic to the rest of the group.

5. Understand that each subject is different

Know that studying for geometry may look different than studying for English. Know what your strengths are for the class and think of people how you remember stuff for regular tests through out the semester.

There you go! And remember: studying isn’t the only part of preparing. Make sure to get enough sleep and stay positive! You got this!