Lady Crusaders Fall Short

The Bishop Kenny girls varsity basketball team were edged out by the Ribault Trojans 54-50 Friday night

Max Montana, Managing Editor

Another fourth quarter three-pointer dropped into the basket courtesy of freshman guard Maddie Millar, who drained four shots total from downtown on the evening, as the Christmas-themed student section sprang to life with a game once thought of as all-but-over being in the Crusaders grasp again. This comeback, fueled by Millar’s shooting, Coach Clark and her bench’s unceasing enthusiasm and sophomore forward Jasmyne Roberts’ 17 points and 11 rebounds, would not be enough, however, to take down the Trojans.

“Even though we were down by 18 in the second half, if we would’ve just came out with the same fight, we would’ve won,” Roberts said. “But we don’t give up, we’re not quitters.”

The Crusader’s defense improved throughout the game, giving up fewer points than in each previous quarter and limiting the Trojans to 9 points in the final quarter. The chants from the bench, fiery pep talks from Coach Clark during timeouts and growing student section, both in quantity and loudness, kept the Crusader’s defensive effort strong.

“I think it was awesome for us to play in this type of crowd, we don’t usually get a lot of this fan support,” Coach Clark said. “So it was fun to have the students here supporting us, and we’re going to have to start playing in these high-pressure situations.”

The Crusaders fell to 5-1 overall with an 0-1 mark in League play and will be matching up with Tampa Catholic tomorrow at 2 pm.