LeBron leads league

LeBron James passes Kareem Abdul-Jabbar as NBA’s all time point scorer

Noah Ferrizzi, Web Editor-in-Chief

Feb. 7 marked a monumental day in sports history. LeBron James became the NBA’s all time leading scorer, passing Kareem Abdul-Jabbar whose record stood for 39 years.

James scored his thirty-sixth point of the game in the third quarter (against the Oklahoma City Thunder) moving him to 38,390 career points. James passed Abdul-Jabbar playing 150 less games than the former Bucks and Lakers center. James has also amassed over 10,000 career assists, which ranks fourth all time.

The milestone only adds more to James’ career accolades. From being dubbed “The Chosen One” on the cover of Sports Illustrated as a high schooler to being the first overall pick for his hometown Cleveland Cavaliers to his big return to Cleveland where he made them a “City of Champions” again.

James has played for three different franchises in his career. James was drafted to the Cleveland Cavaliers right out of high school before leaving for the Miami Heat. After winning his first two championships in South Beach, he returned to Cleveland in triumph and fulfilled his promise to bring a championship to Cleveland coming back from a 3-1 deficit against the 73-win Golden State Warriors. He again left Cleveland — this time in pursuit of the Los Angeles Lakers where he won his fourth league championship in 2020.

James also claims four league MVPs (2009, 2010, 2012, 2013) and four Finals MVPs (2012, 2013, 2016, 2020).

The debate of the basketball GOAT (greatest of all time) will continue to roar on as fans will endlessly debate who is better: LeBron or Jordan?