District Defeat

Girls varsity basketball claim district championship

Abby Milkes, Editor-in-Chief

The girls’ varsity basketball team (25-1) played in the FHSAA District 4-4A game on Feb. 3 against the Bolles Bulldogs (18-8). The starters for the game were senior Sophia Rueppell, juniors Clare Coyle, Sydney Roundtree and Riley Talbert and sophomore Reese Mayer.

The first quarter started slow for the Crusaders. Rueppell’s three pointer halfway through the first quarter put the Crusaders on the board, but the Bulldogs were still making shots. By the end of the first quarter, the Bulldogs led, 10-6.

In the second quarter, different players got to join the court, including senior Ellie Brown, juniors Isabelle Dionisio and Lena Granuzzo and sophomore Abby Baker. Halfway through the second quarter, Talbert hit a three to tie the game, 12-12. With the Crusaders making more shots and holding the Bulldogs down in defense, the score at the half was 17-13, Crusaders.

The third quarter started with the same starting five. The Crusaders started to widen the gap even further, and at the end of the third, the score was 33-25, Crusaders.

The fourth quarter was low-scoring until the water break, where the score was 37-29. Following this, Dionisio made multiple free throws, and the Crusaders claimed the win, 45-31, making them district championships. Rueppell led the score with 14 points, making four three pointers.

The girls are back in action at home in the regional quarterfinals on Feb. 9 at 7 P.M. against West Florida.