Frightening Furlough

Why day after Halloween should be off

Cate Dudley, Editor-in-Chief

Spooky decorations bring festivity to halloween night. (Photo courtesy of Creative Commons)

Halloween is one of the most prominent fall holidays aside from Thanksgiving. We get a half a week off for turkey day, but for the far more fun festivity, we have school the next day. 

Activities like trick or treating and haunted house attractions often do not even start until it gets dark outside. 

By having students go to school the day after eating loads of candy and running around late at night trying to obtain that candy, they arrive sluggish and unready to learn. Because of this, many students simply do not come to school that day.

If schools decided to take that day off, students would have the time they need to rest and prepare for the school day ahead. 

One might argue that we have enough days off already, but I think most students would be more than happy to have one extra day somewhere else in the school year than going the day after halloween. 

Taking November 1 off would benefit teachers as well, if the teacher is a parent, they can take their child trick or treating or to a halloween party without having to worry about waking up early and teaching tired students the next day. 

From the standpoint of a catholic school, the day after Halloween is All Saints Day, a holy day of obligation. While BK does offer the mass during the school day, non-catholic schools do not and it may make it harder for a catholic student to attend mass. Catholic families of students at any school also may want to attend the mass together, and by being in school, it complicates it.

Taking the day after halloween off of school would be beneficial to the mental, physical and spiritual well being of students, teachers and their families alike.