Senior Night on the Court

Crusaders beat Christians in Senior Night game.           

Ilaria Georgi, Web Manager

Students gathered in the John A. Baldwin Athletic Center to celebrate the seniors on the Boys Boys Basketball and Cheerleading teams, followed by a Varsity game against University Christian on Friday, Jan. 31. 

Seniors Garrett Beagle, Ryan Giblin, Aidan Webb and Patrick Tucker were honored by walking out with their families and taking a picture in the center of the court.

The team honored Dominic Allmond (2001-2018) who would have also been a senior this year. As announcer Timothy Yocum read out a tearful introduction of Allmond, his parents and little niece walked out and received two large frames of his jersey next to pictures of him. Later they posed for a picture with the coaches and the rest of the team. 

The game between the Bishop Kenny Crusaders and the University Christian Christians that followed was a close one. While the Crusaders took an early lead at the end of the first quarter with a score of 11 to 8, the Christians had the advantage after the half and at the end of the third quarter.

The fourth quarter had the audience biting their nails. Cheered on by a student section dressed in purple and yellow for Kobe Bryant, the Crusaders continuously fought for the lead, but they were always a few points behind. 

Finally, with less than nine seconds left, sophomore Ross Candelino scored two foul shots, tying the game 47 to 47, and then bringing the Crusaders to the lead with a score of 48 to 47.

The crowd went wild as junior Daniel Buckley scored two more foul shots with less than two seconds left, bringing the final score to 50 to 47 with another win for the Crusaders.