Good for the Sole

Overview of Bishop Kenny Cross Country team’s season

Dailey Jackson, Managing Editor

The Bishop Kenny Cross Country team rounded out their six month season in early November following their return from the State Championship Finals in Tallahassee. Beginning in May, the cross country team trained five days a week and participated in races Saturday morning. These practices are around two hours in length and include a variety of workouts and stretches that are aimed to benefit different types of runners.

“His training plans, they benefit you personally. Just the way he [Curran] does it, so there’s different workouts and each one helps you peak at different times so you can get faster and faster throughout the year,” Junior Andy Waitrovich said.

The cross country season leads up to regionals, districts and states, which is the most important race and ultimate goal of the cross country team. The boys team has gone to states thirty-four years in a row and the girls team has gone for thirty-two, and they strive to continue that streak.

“This season was really crazy because all my dedication paid off and all the hard work and getting to go to states was really fun,” Sophomore Anna Albertelli said.

Cross country coach, Kevin Curran, emphasizes the importance of running and its ties to real life.

“If you’re committed to working hard, it gets easier over time and for us, we feel like that mimics life,” Curran said. “The challenges you face there prepare you for the challenges you face in life, the same mentality.”

Dailey Jackson | Staff Reporter