Breaking News
Student Media - Bishop Kenny High School

The Shield

The Shield

The Shield

Support Us
$225
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Bishop Kenny High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

AP Artistry

The AP showcase reveals the hidden talent of our AP art students

The AP Art Showcase was held on May 3 to demonstrate the talent of the AP art students.

Junior Sophia Nunez-Salinas is an art student at Bishop Kenny who takes AP 2D Art and Design. Her artwork was displayed at the art showcase, along with eight other students.

“The AP Art showcase is essentially a reflection of what the best of the art department looks like,” Sophia said.

The showcase is also held to inspire younger artists who may be interested in applying for an art class.

“It isn’t your traditional AP class where you take tests throughout the year to prepare for the AP exam,” she explained. “We instead work on a portfolio of around 10 pieces throughout the year which we submit to Collegeboard in May as the exam.”

The 10 pieces that these students work on all relate back to a central theme or question that is hand-selected by the students themselves.

“I really enjoyed being able to work on what I wanted to throughout the year instead of being assigned projects with prompts I’m not too excited about,” Sophia said.

Being able to choose their own yearly prompt allows students to explore concepts that interest them, instead of following rigid guidelines.

The AP Art classes allow their students to develop their skills and reach beyond their limits. Students who put in the hard work will see the payoff by the end of the year.

“If you really pour your heart into every piece you make, and work to improve your craft, you will absolutely see that growth by the end of the year and have a body of works you are proud of,” Sophia said.

Funding for the art department has become a bit lackluster, which is why the art showcase is so beneficial—showing the talent of students encourages extra funding.

“It’s a chance to show the school that supporting art and artists matters,” Sophia said.