SAT Going Virtual

College Board has announced that the SAT will be taken virtually beginning in 2024 for U.S.-based students.

Haley Samaan, Layout and Design Editor

Goodbye No. 2 pencils, you will not be missed.

As of recently, College Board has announced that the SAT college admission exam with be going digital. This will take effect in 2023 for International students and 2024 for U.S.-based students.

Due to the coronavirus pandemic, many colleges and universities have ended SAT score requirements for admissions.

The first digital SAT took place in Nov. 2021 and College Board said that 80% of students found the digital version to be less stressful.

This new test will still be scored out of 1600, but will take two hours instead of three. Calculators will be allowed for the entire math section and students will receive their results in days, instead of weeks.

Representatives of College Board have hopes that these changes will improve the test environment and experience for students.

College Board also said that if a student does not own or have a school-issues laptop or IPad, they will provide them with a device to complete the test. They

College Board has announced that the SAT will be going digital (photo courtesy of Creative Commons).

also said that if a student loses WiFi or power, the test has been designed to save the student’s work while it reconnects.

According to a CNBC interview, “The digital SAT will be easier to take, easier to give, and more relevant,” says Priscilla Rodriguez, vice president at the College Board. She continued with, “We’re not simply putting the current SAT on a digital platform — we’re taking full advantage of what delivering an assessment digitally makes possible. With input from educators and students, we are adapting to ensure we continue to meet their evolving needs.”