Breaking News
Student Media - Bishop Kenny High School

The Shield

The Shield

The Shield

Support Us
$225
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Bishop Kenny High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Blake Bortles Gets Paid

Jacksonville Jaguars Quarterback Blake Bortles was compensated for reaching the AFC championship last season with a three-year contract extension with the team.

Max Montana | Sports Editor

A $54 million contract, with conditions that allow up to $66.5 million to be attained, was awarded to quarterback Blake Bortles on Saturday, February 24th. The deal came in consequence of Bortles guiding the team to a 10-6 record in the regular season and two impressive wins over the Buffalo Bills and Pittsburgh Steelers in the NFL playoffs. Bortles would be subject to criticism before the season even started, as he threw five interceptions during a training camp session and lost the quarterback job initially to Chad Henne, but he earned the position back and proceeded to throw for 3,687 yards, 21 touchdowns and 13 interceptions over the course of the season. Bortles could not help showing his elation over his new deal.

“So happy and relieved. Obviously extremely excited. It’s a dream come true to be able to sign a second contract by the team that drafted me. That was one of my goals from the start, so excited to get it all done and get rolling now.”

Bortles will attempt to guide the team to back to back AFC South Championships for the first time in franchise history.