Breaking News
Student Media - Bishop Kenny High School

The Shield

The Shield

The Shield

Support Us
$225
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Bishop Kenny High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Lights, Camera, Coffee

Bishop Kenny Arts Departments raise funds with night of live music

The performing Arts Department’s annual Coffee House was held on Nov. 15 2023. The event gives students of all grade levels the opportunity to perform live music in a relaxed and intimate environment.

Guests and performers are invited to enjoy a warm cup of coffee in freshly sculpted ceramic mugs made by the Art 1 and 2 students. Ceramic bowls are made by Art 2 students, and mugs are created by Art 1 students. Guests are encouraged to take the pottery home with them after the show, free of charge!

Not only is the pottery a way for the different art departments at BK to collaborate, they also serve as a way for art students to donate to the “Empty Bowls” fund, a charity that fights to end world hunger, in a creative and symbolic way. The empty ceramic bowls laid out on tables represent the empty bowls that starving kids around the world face every day, and serve as a remind to take action and make a change.

As the night went on, students showcased a wide variety of musical talents. From acoustic guitar, to piano players, to vocalists, Mr. Jenkins, BK’s primary music teacher, put together a thoroughly talented group of kids. The genres of music played spanned from jazz, to classic rock, to indie music.