Breaking News
Student Media - Bishop Kenny High School

The Shield

The Shield

The Shield

Support Us
$225
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Bishop Kenny High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

A Collection of Competitions

NJROTC’s Brain Brawl and Drone Competition

On Saturday, Dec. 9, Bishop Kenny National Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (NJROTC) students, including those from other schools, gathered across campus to compete against each other in their naval knowledge and drone skills, hosted by Brian Morrill and Kevin Harris, the NJROTC coordinators.

Juniors Hunter Richland and Mary Elizabeth Harden, both NJROTC students since freshman year, give an insider viewpoint on this competition, as well as how it functions.

“In the end of year report, each ROTC unit can get a certain amount of points. You get points for hosting events, and hosting both a brain brawl and drone event, Bishop Kenny will get more points,” Harden stated.

“The top 14 qualify for area championships, which will be held at Terry Parker High School, and the top two winning teams will qualify for nationals,” Richland said.

The traditional brain brawl competition was held in the Carla Harris Center, but with a twist.

“All questions asked in the brain brawl are all navy related. Your team has to answer it correctly, and if you do, your team can get a bonus question about anything,” Harden said.

In the drone competition, held in various rooms throughout campus, ROTC students can show off tricks with their drones as well as attract other students to see them.

“There are various obstacles like a relay race, and others such as a blindfolded, where the person is blindfolded,” Richland said.