Breaking News
Student Media - Bishop Kenny High School

The Shield

The Shield

The Shield

Support Us
$225
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Bishop Kenny High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

‘I Think I’ve Seen This Film Before’

Taylor Swift takes tour to the big screen
Photo+courtesy+of+IMDb++
Photo courtesy of IMDb

After Taylor Swift’s US leg of the Eras Tour, she filmed and produced a concert film. The movie was filmed during the last three nights of the US leg at the SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles, California. 

Swift finally announced the movie and ticket sales on September 26, 2023. 

On October 12, Swift premiered the movie to a select group of friends, relatives, celebrities, fans and people involved in the concert. 

The following day, Friday, October 13, 2023, the movie premiered in AMC, Cinemark and Regal theaters nationwide. Different theaters have slightly different merch options, including variation in size and style of the popcorn bucket and soda cup. Also available for purchase, while supplies last, is the black tote bag and light up baton as seen at merch stands on tour. As you enter the movie, a complementary poster is given to each person with a ticket. 

Just like at the concert, fans decided to dress in different costumes and Taylor Swift themed outfits, but it doesn’t stop there. Fans also decided to make and trade friendship bracelets with each other as well. This tradition originated from the song “You’re On Your Own Kid” from Taylor Swift’s album “Midnights.” 

The concert film’s run time is two hours and forty eight minutes, which has been shaved down from the concert’s original time of three hours and fifteen minutes. With this, a few changes had to have been made to the original show. 

Transition times between the different eras for outfit changes and set placement was cut out, but this wasn’t the only thing that changed. Swift also decided to take out “The Archer” from the album Lover, “no body, no crime” (feat. Haim) from the “evermore” album, “Long Live” from the “Speak Now” album, “Wildest Dreams” from the “1989” album and “cardigan” from the “folklore” album. These cuts have made it possible for these significant time differences. 

During each night of the concert, Swift would have a surprise song section, singing two random songs from her discography that were not included in the show. This way, she would have the chance to include more of her songs into the show, have the fans questioning what they are going to get, and the movie was no different. 

In between the “1989” and the “Midnights” sets there were two surprise songs during the movie. The first surprise song was played on the acoustic guitar. It was “Our Song” from her debut album, “Taylor Swift.” This was the only album she didn’t play during the concert so, for the movie it was important for this album to be included. The second surprise song was played on the piano. This song was “You’re On Your Own Kid.”

This movie is the highest grossing concert film domestically for an opening weekend. It made $96 million dollars opening weekend in the United States and Canada, according to AMC. Internationality, this movie made about $32 million dollars in sales. It was number one in the box office in the United Kingdom, Mexico, Australia, Germany and the Philippines, according to CNN.