Game On

Boys basketball team gets the Win over Bolles

Abby Milkes, Editor-in-Chief

On Jan. 14, the boys’ basketball team played the Bolles Bulldogs. The dress code for the game was a blackout, with the seniors’ theme being business casual.

The starters of the game were senior Drew McAtee, juniors Diego Dionisio and Barrett Baker and sophomores Tong Tong and OJ Eziemefe.

The Crusaders won the tip-off, but with no scoring in the first minutes, Baker knocked down a three to score the first points for BK. With one minute left in the first quarter, Baker made another three to put Kenny in the lead. At the end of quarter one, Kenny was up, 13-10.

In the second quarter, new players were subbed in for the Crusaders, including senior Kyle Sulayman, juniors Jackson Burnett and Alex Ritter and sophomore Justin Gist. By the first timeout with 4:53 to go in the half, the Crusaders had only scored a three pointer. After that timeout, they picked up the pace, scoring with multiple layups and jump shots. By the end of the quarter, the score was 27-26, Kenny.

At halftime, the Kenny girls basketball players from the 1990, 1991 and 1992 teams were recognized for winning three straight state championships.

In the third quarter, the game starters started off the half. Both Tong and McAtee had a high-scoring quarter, both making big threes to extend the scoring gap. Lots of defensive effort and blocks helped the Crusaders pull ahead with their biggest lead in the game. At the end of the third quarter, BK was up 41-33.

Kenny continued to make shots and defend, but the Bulldogs made a run and the score got close. It was a nail-biter at the end with some close calls, but Kenny came out on top with a 55-53 victory.

This win marked Coach Jerry Buckley’s 300th win as a coach at BK.

The boys are back in action on Jan. 21 at Episcopal.