Breaking News
Student Media - Bishop Kenny High School

The Shield

The Shield

The Shield

Support Us
$225
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Bishop Kenny High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Starbucks’s New Face?

A cafe in Mexico is run completely by elderly baristas

The Starbucks company has recently staffed a Mexico City location with workers all with ages 50 years old and older. This cafe is also built to accommodate the limitations that elders undertake when they get older, like having shorter shelves to have the seniors refrain from reaching too high and avoiding dangerous potential situations.

Starbucks has chosen to staff this location the way that they have in hopes of inspiring other companies to offer more jobs to the elderly crowds. The company has done this by working in partnership with the National Institute for Older Persons (INAPAM), which is a Mexican government welfare program.

“It’s becoming more difficult to employ people over 40 years of age,” said Christian Gurria, the chief executive of Starbucks Mexico, as stated in a video featured on Reuter’s.com.

Although they are receiving training from younger baristas, the elders plan to run this cafe on their own one day, and hopefully have more companies in Mexico follow Starbucks’s lead and offer more employment to the older people of the country.