Breaking News
Student Media - Bishop Kenny High School

The Shield

The Shield

The Shield

Support Us
$225
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Bishop Kenny High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Alexa, microwave me some popcorn, please.

Amazon releases many brand new Alexa products

Amazon released their first “Echo” product on June 23, 2015 and has been expanding and improving the line of products ever since. The Echo Dot, Fire TV stick with the Alexa voice, Echo Show, and more are some of the previous products already released. Amazon announced many upcoming products at the recent Echo conference, as well as software updates and other advancements.

The latest release by Amazon has been the Amazon Basics Microwave. This microwave works with Alexa, however, comes with a catch. The microwave is Alexa-enabled, but the Alexa speaker is not built in. The way it works is that it connects to another Alexa device in the kitchen and takes command in that way, rather than being able to work without dependence on anything. The price tag is a big deal-breaker. Selling at only $60 makes it a more affordable kitchen appliance than others.

Amazon is not done there, they have many more plans coming. Other products coming include the Amazon Wall Clock ($30), which will connect to your Echo speaker and give you time updates and reminders and the Echo Auto that you put on the dash of your car, connects through your phone, and can give you direction while driving. The Echo Dot, Echo Show, and Echo Plus have been given redesigns to improve visual appeal and sound quality.