Champion Crusaders

Bishop Kenny track states results

Gabrielle Johnson (left) and Ka’Myya Haywood (right) stand on the podium after their wins (photo courtesy Loren James).

Emily Wheldon, Web Manager

On May 18, the Bishop Kenny track team went to the FSHAA 2A State Championships. Multiple athletes competed in races, with a majority of them placing in the top eight.

Senior Gabrielle Johnson competed in multiple events and placed in all of the events. Johnson came in eighth place in the 100 meters (12.04 seconds), fourth place in the 200 meters (24.78 seconds) and third place in the 400 meters (55.30 seconds).

Senior Ka’Myya Haywood dominated the track during her 400 meters and 800 meter races. Haywood came second in the 800 meter (2:12.87 minutes ) and originally came second in the 400 meters (54.837). After officials reviewed the race clips it was determined that Haywood won the race by 0.001 seconds.

Sophomore Juan Pablo Castillo-Zima ran in the 3200 meters (2 miles) and ran a personal best of 9:36.12 minutes. This accomplishment helped Castillo-Zima place sixth overall in states.

Senior Jayden Harris was the only Bishop Kenny athlete to place in an event that wasn’t running. Harris came in third place for high jump, jumping 1.97 meters, or 6’5.5 feet.

The girls’ 4×100 meter team secured a place in the podium with sixth place. The team consisted of junior Clare Coyle, junior Addie Thorson, senior Erin Buckley and senior Lauren Weikel. 

The girls’ 4×400 meter team made history on Thursday night, not only winning the state title for the second year in a row, but also breaking the school record with a 3:49.56 minute race. The first place team consisted of Addie Thorson, Clare Coyle, Gabrielle Johnson and Ka’Myya Haywood.

The girls’ 4×800 meter team ran their best race of the season, with a 19 second drop from their last race. The team placed second in the race with the eighth fastest time in Kenny history. The team included junior Davis Johnson, junior Alexis Holmes, freshman Alexis Wilson and junior Emily Wheldon.

With the time of 8:09.44 minutes the boys’ 4×800 team was able to place seventh overall at states. The team included junior Alejandro Vinas, sophomore James Warren, Juan Pablo Castillo-Zima and sophomore Jack Liuzzo.

At the end of the night the boys’ team placed twenty-second overall and the girls’ placed third overall. Go Crusaders!