Breaking News
Student Media - Bishop Kenny High School

The Shield

The Shield

The Shield

Support Us
$225
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Bishop Kenny High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

What To Do To Avoid The Flu…

Steps you can take to avoid influenza

Emily Willis | Opinion Editor

The flu is terrible; everyone knows that. This year’s influenza strain is specifically harsh because influenza A H3N2 virus train is especially rampant, according to the Center for Disease Control (CDC). The flu vaccine does not work as well against H3 viruses and this causes more dangerous flu epidemics. Thirty children have died this season due to influenza. Our own state of Florida has reported high levels of influenza-like sickness infecting residents. It is important to avoid the flu because it causes a weakened immune system, which can lead to pneumonia or bacterial infection. Although influenza is relentless, there are some steps that you can take to fight it off, according to the CDC.

• Get your flu vaccination. Although the vaccine is said to only be 10% effective, it can protect you against the most common strains of the flu.

• Do everything you can to avoid contact with sick people. Washing your hands seem obvious, but it is absolutely imperative if you do not want to be sick. Hot water and soap will usually do the trick.
  • Do not touch your face, specifically the mouth and nose. Germs are everywhere. Every time you hear someone sneeze or cough, know that their infected mucus is getting everywhere.
  • Drink tea. Breathing in steam causes the cilia (the hair follicles in the nose) to move our germs more efficiently. Lemon tea with honey is especially effective because lemon thins mucus and honey is anti bacterial, according to Murray Grossan, ear, nose and throat specialist at Cedars-Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles.

Clean, clean, clean. As previously stated, germs are everywhere you touch. For example, you touch your school desk that someone sneezed on last mod. You go home and flip on a light switch. That kid’s mucus particles are now on your light switch. So, clean as often as you can. Take a Clorox wipe and wash down anything you touch casually, such as your light switch, tables, keyboard, and even your thermostat. Keep in mind that your phone is actually disgusting, as you probably touch it at least once every hour and in between every class. Dust it off, at least, so you are not spreading every germ you come in contact with.