Breaking News
Student Media - Bishop Kenny High School

The Shield

The Shield

The Shield

Support Us
$225
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Bishop Kenny High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Baseball is Back

Max Montana | Sports Editor

The BK Varsity baseball team began their ‘road to states’ on January 29th with their first day of tryouts. Coach Tommy Edwards will be at the helm of the team for his 13th season and will try rectify a loss to Bolles in the regional quarterfinals last season. However, not all aspects of last season should be put in the rear view mirror as the squad still achieved a 25-4 season along with attaining a district championship. Although, this winning tradition will need to be continued with a plethora of new players as the team lost 10 players to graduation.

“Anytime you lose seniors, especially last year’s group, you  have to find returners who are willing to fill the void of leadership,” Coach Pascual said. “The team has the ability to get to the Final Four.  Time will tell if the squad can put all the  pieces together and make a serious run at a title.”

Certain seniors are already looking ahead towards the future in the form of accepting athletic scholarships including Nikko Calabro (Drury University), Nick Niewulis (FSCJ) and Christopher Pratt (Newberry College).

“The responsibility of captaincy falls upon the senior players to be sure all the younger players  in the program meet their expectations of excellence,” Coach Pascual said. “Winning is important to the success of the program, but also knowing that players who have made it through the program are better young men (is the most important part of the program).”