Sacramento Mass Shooting

Mass shooting still being investigated, sparks outrage

Mikaela Georgi , Staff Reporter

On Sunday, April 3, 2022, assailants opened fire in the California capital. The aftermath of such actions left six people dead and 12 others injured.

Around 2 a.m., a large crowd gathered when the shooting occurred  In social media videos of the event, there appeared to be an altercation before the gunfire, and the police are trying to find witnesses who will come forth about whether or not that and the shooting are connected.

Sergio Harris, one of the victims, was “a very vivacious young man,” according to his mother. She continued on to say that, “for this to happen, it’s crazy… I don’t even think this is real.”

The victims’ families are in mourning and confusion at the seemingly random mass shooting.

Today, Monday, April 4, the motive and identity of the assailants is still unclear. The Sacramento Police Chief claims to be working to identify these unknown factors.

California Attorney General Rob Bonta has expressed his despair in the fact that, “There have been about as many as shootings in America as days so far in 2022… This work is urgent. We must act now.”

Another mass shooting has left the affected, and those that are scared to be affected, in fear and anger. In attempts to quell the despair, people have called for moments of silence to mourn the victims. However, some have grown tired of the moments of silence that they feel are yet to contribute to real change.

“I’ll be honest, it’s probably the ninth or tenth moment of silence that I will have experienced… So I don’t think moments of silence are gonna do anything,” said Golden State Warriors Head Coach Steve Kerr.

The incident sparked an urgency to find a solution. Sacramento Mayor Darrel Steinberg said, “It is beyond time to have a sane conversation [about] guns in America.”